Job Summary: This position provides assistance to Environmental Services Director in repairs and alterations to building, maintains building and grounds, other maintenance needs, and periodically drives Community van to transport residents.
Job Duties: Essential Functions
- Support the mission, vision, and culture of the organization through positive communication and leadership.
- Contribute to Community relationships by demonstrating cooperation and professional conduct with residents, families, fellow associates, physicians, pharmacies and other vendors or persons.
- Contribute to team effort by being flexible in work assignments; by furnishing support; by taking initiative; and by understanding how this position affects and compliments all other Community positions.
- Able to maintain work pace appropriate to given work load. Perform activities on schedule while maintaining regular attendance and punctuality within specified tolerance.
- Assist with general maintenance repairs and improvements, including but not limited to:
- Operate power tools (drills, saws, etc.)
- Repair plumbing fixtures (leaky faucets, toilets, sinks, drain, valves, water lines).
- Plunge toilets, sink, and floor drain.
- Repair electrical apparatus (lights, switches, outlets, motors, icemakers, appliances).
- Hang pictures, draperies, and vertical blinds.
- Replace overhead light bulbs; Repair outdoor lighting and plumbing.
- Repair appliances (garbage disposal, dishwashers, icemakers, laundry equipment, stoves, heating and air conditioning equipment, commercial kitchen and laundry equipment, telephone systems, nurse call systems).
- Perform rough and finish carpentry.
- Hang wall cabinets (kitchen and bath).
- Install grab bars and stretch carpeting.
- Perform door removal and installation.
- Repair door locks and make adjustments.
- Perform wall texturing, painting, wall repairs, and wallpapering.
- Operate commercial washer and dryer and cleaning equipment normally associated with position.
- Spray herbicides properly.
- Operate grounds equipment and assist with landscaping maintenance.
- Aid driver when it is needed.
- Respond appropriately to changes in the work setting.
- Perform other related assignments as required.
- Drive a motor vehicle to scheduled destinations while assisting disabled passengers into and out of vehicle.
- Secure passengers’ wheelchairs to restraining devices in Community van to stabilize wheelchair during trip.
- Operates a small radio to communicate with base station.
- Clean and service Community van with fuel, lubricants, and accessories when needed.
- Keep record of trips and behavior of passengers.
- Be familiar with Northstar Senior Living Policies & Procedures Manual and Northstar Senior Living Associate Handbook.
- Be prepared to work in any area of the department.
- Act on constructive feedback by listening to supervisor(s), customers and peers and use it to improve performance.
- Maintain resident, employee, and community confidentiality.
- Respect Resident’s Rights.
- Demonstrate positive attitude and ability to work well with all people, particularly the elderly.
- Promote positive work environment that emphasizes teamwork.
- Demonstrate willingness to help other staff whenever needed.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have required health screening, TB clearance, and criminal record clearance
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- May be required to hold valid First Aid Certification and valid Drivers License.
- Ability to read labels and instructions for all chemicals used in community and able to use safely.
- Maintain mental alertness, attention, and concentration for necessary periods.
- Apply common sense understanding and carry out instructions (written, oral or diagrammatic).
- Adapt to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances, or standards.
- Regularly required to sit and talk or listen.
- Able to stand, stoop and bend frequently, lift up to 100 pounds and push up to 100 pounds. Also must have the ability to talk, hear, sit, use hands and fingers, handle/feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision requirements for this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust the focus of the eyes.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, climb ladders or crawl.
- Occasionally required to operate small power tools (screw drivers, drills, etc.)
The physical demands described must be met by every associate. Reasonable accommodations may be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Must be willing and able to work required and scheduled shifts, including evenings, weekends, overtime and holidays.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in extreme heat and cold conditions.
- Work conditions may be slippery or wet.